Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

It's no picnic for SW bears.

Don't go into the woods today, you'll be in for a big surprise...
This has been one of the coldest winters and driest summers in Albuquerque's history. The result? The native black bears can't find enough to eat, so they are hungry and are raiding campgrounds. One of the lower campgrounds on the north side of the Sandia Mountains has been closed due to increased bear activity. The sign warns that bear sightings are common. On the way down the East side of the Sandia Mountains, we saw a bear along the highway lifting a big rock probably looking for grubs. Many people stopped to take photos. The bear stopped briefly, looked around at all the folks, and then continued the hunt.






No comments:

Post a Comment