Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Paseo del Bosque Bike Trail

We are very lucky in that the house we have traded for is within blocks of a 16 mile bike trail along the Rio Grande, and we have been exploring the city by bike. http://www.cabq.gov/openspace/paseodelbosquetrail.html   We met Irene who is 68 and an avid biker. She has been showing us where the trails are and how to ride along the acequias, which are irrigation ditches connect people's properties to water from the Rio Grande. 


I fixed up my 35 year old bike with new upright handle bars and a more comfortable seat to make it more pleasurable to ride. Both Lee and our friend have fat tire bikes that can be used for biking in soft dirt. My bike has thin racing tires and doesn't do dirt well. On our last bike ride together I rode too near the acequia and went right in the water! What a surprise!! Although the water was still full of soot and dirt from the fires that raged here over the summer, it was cool, and it felt good to ride wet. When I got home and showered, I was surprised that dirt and soot had thoroughly penetrated all my clothing. Below is a photo of me in the ditch. After Lee and Irene pulled me and my bike out of the water, we rode further and found a beautiful old cottonwood tree in a field with bales of straw under it - the perfect place to hang out for a leisurely lunch. 


Yesterday, Lee and I explored the Paseo del Bosque bike trail for 9 miles south of our house. It went past the Bio-Park, past the zoo, past the Hispanic Cultural Center, and on into a beautiful bosque park next to the Rio Grande. The day was rare - in the low 80s with a nice breeze. The ride was nearly 18 miles round trip. Boy, were our butts sore by the time we got back! That evening we made dinner and relaxed in the front courtyard to watch a Labor Day fireworks display over the wall. Pretty sweet life!!





Look closely and you will see a Blue Heron fishing in the Rio Grande.




In places the bike trail borders a peaceful bosque of cottonwoods.
This is me and our friend, Irene. She is an inspiration. She bikes, runs, and eats healthily. No wonder she is in such great shape at 68!! 

Me in the ditch, dirty but smiling!

A delightful picnic under grandmother Cottonwood.


No comments:

Post a Comment