Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

UNM Campus and Library

Lee had been eager to go for a walk on the UNM campus, but we chose an afternoon that was blisteringly hot. (Are there any other kind here during the summer?)  After cruising by the famous UNM duck pond, we decided to take refuge in the library. The library is huge and built like a cathedral, but it's an homage to learning, not to religion. In this photo, Lee is dwarfed by it's grandeur.
The details are also exquisite.

In the newer addition the artistic integrity continues.
And in for a closer look:
Outside, a turtle rests on a rock trying to sun as much of herself as she can.
There is also a statue by Luis A. JimĂ©nez, the same artist we saw in the courtyard in Santa Fe (see the Santa Fe post), but this piece had no name. It should be entitled "Working up a sweat!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment