Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sandia Crest Hummers

On the top of Sandia Crest there are a couple of visitor centers. There is one for the folks who take a tram to the top, but those who drive up there end up at a another one that is primarily a big gift shop and a little snack shop. The day that Lee and I drove up, it was very warm, and we went to the snack bar for an ice cream bar. We took our bars out to their patio to relax and enjoy the view. Yes, the view of Albuquerque spread out below is breathtaking. However, my attention was captured by two hummingbird feeders hung side by side from the patio railing. Those feeders were humming with action (so to speak). Dozens of the little birds were flying in to feed, then exiting, only to return a few seconds later for another snack. While we were there one of the waitresses came onto the patio for a breath of air and she told us that when they bring the feeders out each morning the little guys don't wait for them to be hung up, but hungrily swarm the feeders as they are being carried. She said that she can put her finger next to one of the feeding holes and the birds will mostly ignore it, but sometimes they will sit on her finger while they eat. I had to try it and it worked!!! Their little feet are so warm and delicate and I could feel the magic of them touching my skin for more than an hour later. Really, I will never forget it. Here is some video that we took.

No comments:

Post a Comment