Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our first day

After a long and slow start in the morning, we unpacked what we had, and Lee made a beautiful brunch of fresh OG veggies, eggs, and corn tortillas that we had bought at the Farmers’ Market in Moab the day before. Then we went to visit Old Town. Everyone was so friendly. People in the shops and art galleries volunteered their favorite places to eat and Bob, the volunteer at the visitors’ center was a mountain of information. He gave us enough ideas to keep us busy for the year we plan to be here. After another trip to the Co-op for basic supplies, we came home to eat on the patio. We let out Fiona and Chi Chi into the back yard. Fiona came right out to explore the territory, but Chi Chi hung back in the house to make sure nothing bad happened to Fiona before following her outside. Fiona went toward the fence to look at the horses grazing out in their paddock. They saw us at the fence and ran over to greet us. There was also an old, sweet and friendly Chihuahua who came to the fence and touched noses with Fiona. I didn’t want to push my luck, so I brought them both in and we will let them out again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment