Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Friday, May 13, 2011

Why Albuquerque?

It was October 2010 and we were getting ready to retire in June. We've pretty thoroughly explored the NW near our home over the last 24 years we've been married. It was time for a change. I went to homeexchange.com, a website that we have used for about 7 years to find home exchanges. It's worked well for us in the past for short 1-2 week exchanges, so I looked for something longer term.


I did a 'reverse' search to see who might like to come to Portland. I found Liz and Bill who live in Albuquerque, NM. They were thinking about moving to Portland, but they didn't want to commit to something permanent without first trying on a Portland winter. Lee and I had been to Albuquerque several times in the past. Lee spent his early years in Clovis, NM and then went to college there. He had good memories of expansive landscapes and open skies filled with stars. Me? I wanted to try on some year-round sun shine!  We contacted Liz and Bill, and a year-long exchange was born!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ann and Lee, We like our aliases! You are right on about all those blue skies and starry nights.

    ReplyDelete