Beyond My Boundaries

Welcome! I am 65 and this is my first year of retirement. My husband, Lee, just retired too and right out of the gate, we are moving to Albuquerque, NM via a year long house trade that we arranged over the internet. I came from the midwest to Oregon in 1970 and have lived in OR for more than 40 years. I've been teaching English as a 2nd language for the last 10 years. Retirement will be a major life change, and ABQ will be a major cultural and climatological change, so I want to keep notes. These notes are for me, but you are welcome to read them and add your own thoughts.

Portland, OR Skyline

Portland, OR Skyline

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

A view of Sandia Mountain in NM

Friday, November 11, 2011

New Mexico glitters in the fall

The cottonwoods around the state don't just turn yellow - they are eye-poppingly golden in the fall. 


And, you don't have to travel to Vermont to enjoy the red side of the spectrum. We traveled an hour or so south of ABQ and found the Fourth of July Canyon Campground where maples planted there show the full spectrum of fall color. 




On the way home, we stopped for supper at the tiny town of Mountainair. The Schaffer Hotel's restaurant had been recommended by someone we met at the campground for its art deco interior. It was much more spectacular than I expected and the food was good too! http://shafferhotel.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment